Vacation Ownership Association (VOASA)
VOASA stands for 'Vacation Ownership Association of Southern Africa'. It was previously known as TISA (Timeshare Institute of Southern Africa). The name change was necessary in order for TISA (now VOASA) to evolve with the ever-changing industry, an industry that is constantly introducing innovative new products and propositions - products such as Points Clubs,Fractional Ownership and Destination or Private Residence Clubs,which fall within the shared vacation ownership category set out in the Property Timesharing Control Act No.75 of 1983 and / or Share Blocks Control Act No.59 of 1980.
Though these new products are considered to be different from standard shared vacation ownership, they still require representation by an industry body. Each prospective member's application and documentation will be vetted, not only for legal compliance, but also for consumer protection. All members of VOASA are required to adhere to the industry Code of Conduct. VOASA is committed to strong ethical standards. This is essential to promote the long-term interest of the shared vacation ownership industry in Southern Africa.
Services offered by Vacation Ownership Association (VOASA)
Conferences & Workshops
Trade Regulatory Body
Q&A with Alex Bosch - Executive Director
The former Timeshare Institute of Southern Africa (TISA) recently re-branded to VOASA – Vacation Ownership Association of Southern Africa, why was this?
[AB] The Timeshare Institute of Southern Africa (TISA) was officially landed in 1993 with the mission and object intention to govern business practices within the Timeshare industry through a Code of Conduct to protect the interest of both consumers and the industry and promoting an equitable, negotiated balance between these interests. The industry in 1993 consisted of conventional timeshare week modules utilised by timeshare owners.
SAAFI also merged with VOASA - Does this imply that VOASA are the only shared vacation ownership body in Southern Africa?
[AB] VOASA is the only shared vacation ownership body or association with a code of conduct agreed with and mandated by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) – other informal associations may exist but are not known by VOASA.
Is VOASA a voluntary organisation?
[AB] VOASA is a self-regulated non-profit association funded through it's membership base with no governmental subsidy
How many members does VOASA have?
[AB] The current membership of VOASA totals 197 members; the greater majority thereof being corporate entities
What services does your organisation offer vacation ownership companies and individuals?
[AB] VOASA offers guidance on legislation affecting the industry; ensuing that accommodation schemes are, structured correctly in terms of the required legal framework; attending on general enquiries or complaints received pertaining to the industry and an alternative dispute resolution through mediation.
What membership categories do you offer?
[AB] VOASA offers membership in Developer, Exchange Organisation, Owners Association, Brokers and managing agent categories.
What events to VOASA have planned for 2010?
[AB] VOASA will attend a stand at the Annual Indaba Exposition, various workshops for members as well as the Annual VOASA Conference 29 to 31 August 2010 in Durban, South Africa.
Has your organisation assisted resorts with offering accommodation for the 2010 FIFA world cup visitors?
[AB] VOASA assisted a number of timeshare resorts and vacation clubs to engage in discussion with MATCH, the accommodation arm of FIFA 2010, and to enter into agreements endorsed by VOASA.
What major changes do you for see for the shared vacation ownership industry over the next 12 months?
[AB] As in all property related industries, the shared vacation ownership market has been negatively affected by the current economic downturn.
Indications are positive that the economy and thus the property market will pick up later in 2010. Against this, our industry is faced with the challenges of the new Companies Act 2008 and the Consumer Protection 2008, both statures of legislation coming into effect during 2010; to balance the effect and the sustainability of the industry to positively grow.
- INTERVAL INTERNATIONAL SPONSORS VOASA CONFERENCE IN DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA
- ARE YOU A FRACTIONAL OWNER?
- VOASA press release Golf & Leisure Joint Ownership
- VOASA News Release. Golf and Leisure Joint Ownership Pty Ltd
- Vacation Ownership Association of Southern Africa welcomes new dawn in legislation, products, financing and services
- Leading global exchange organisation to open 2010 vacation ownership conference
- Booking desk opens for the 2010 VOASA Conference
- New property portal caters for all aspects of holiday home ownership/rental
- A blow for resort developers in South Africa
- Fractionalownership.co.za awarded VOASA Service Excellence award 2009
- Benefits of purchasing with VOASA accredited company
- VOASA conference 2009 highlights consumer protection for the vacation ownership market in SA
- 2010 will showcase SA's Hospitality sector
- 14 Finalists shortlisted for the 2008 Hospitality Investment Awards
- CONFERENCE SHEDS LIGHT ON CONSUMER PROTECTION IN RESPECT OF VACATION OR FRACTIONAL OWNERSHIP
- Fractional ownership conference 2007
- Fractionalownership.co.za media sponsor for VOASA conference 2009
- SAAFI merges with VOASA
- SAAFI revises membership criteria
- SARS move to apply VAT to fractional transactions
- Developments in the Southern African fractional ownership industry see it set to explode onto the global map
- Take a break, at a fraction of the cost
- The forecaster
- The three L's that consumers are looking for in a vacation ownership purchase
- VOASA launches in South Africa